Labels

Monday, October 1, 2012

Musings on life, and pictures.

Sometimes I think about parenting, and it is a tough job.  I am always trying to figure out ways to motivate my kids, to help them to learn about and love God, to do the best they can in all areas of life- spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, physically.  A lot of times I am overwhelmed at all of my responsibilities as a mother, let alone taking care of myself, working on my calling, being a friend, etc.

This month I told the kids we were going to have a "star and check chart."  This is something that my 4th grade did actually.  For all of the good things we did (good work on assignments, good behavior, cleaning up after ourselves) we got stars.  For all the things that weren't so great, we got checks.  I told the kids that if they got more stars than checks they could come to our party at the end of the month.  If they got more stars than anyone else, they could have a personal date with mom or dad.

Isabelle has been especially motivated by this.  She has cleaned her room immediately every morning, she has tried to be kind and polite.  She puts other people above herself.  By far, she got more stars and fewer checks than any other person in the family.

On one of the last days of the month, I asked the kids to empty the dishwasher, while Austin was at school.  The kids all know that they are responsible to empty 1/3 of the dishwasher and Austin always seems to get last pick because the kids are able to do it while he is at school.  This day, I asked the kids to be thoughtful of Austin and if they would be willing to do the top (that is what he is always left with).  Robert volunteered!  I know that he was motivated by the stars, but does that matter?  He did a good deed and was thoughtful of his younger brother.  Isabelle asked what would be harder for Austin and did the harder job as well.  When Austin got home and I asked him to empty the dishwasher, he was a little grumpy, but when he opened it and saw that all that was left was the silverware he cheered and was so happy!  I told him to give Robert and Isabelle hugs for what they did for him, and he gladly did.  It was so awesome to see my kids be so thoughtful and and they could see the reward on Austin's face.  So, this was a little victory for me.  Maybe I figured one thing out as a mom.  (Maybe not).  But, it is nice, once in a while, to see something go right.  Hopefully these stars will bring more of the same.

 On, to my normal blog.....

Here is Austin wearing an appreciated gift. :)

Isabelle tried some on too.

These are a pinterest win.  They are called "hand pies".  Mini pies/tarts.  They cooked up in 15 min and had caramel oozing out the top.  Yes, they were yummy.


For Isabelle's date we went ice skating.  She has been asking for like a month, so I am glad we finally got to go.

These brownies were from pinterest as well.  They were good, but a little too much icing for me.


I love my sweet kiddos.

Anyone else celebrate "Talk like a Pirate Day"?  I guess it is nationwide, but I had never heard of it until the Northwest.  We got free donuts at Krispy Kreme for dressing up and talkin' like pirates!  Arr!

Has anyone ever heard of Guy fawkes Day?  I hadn't until this year with history.  It is a bit of a morbid holiday where England celebrates Guy fawkes death by putting effigees of him on bonfires.  I was a little put off by this at first, but the oddness of it kind of made me want to do it more.  So, we celebrated Guy Fawkes day.  We had caramel apples,


 

Austin gave a sermon, 
we burned pictures of Guy Faux the kids had drawn and had a bonfire.


At least I know what this mask is all about.  Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Parliment Building, King James, and everyone inside.  People in England celebrate that day because he was caught and didn't succeed.  Guy was a Catholic and didn't like having a Protestant King.  But, it is kind of creepy seeing this mask in places now, including OWS.  You may disagree with a government, but blowing up an killing a bunch of innocent people to solve your problems definitely isn't the answer.




We went to a "star party" our local museum was putting on to look at the stars, the moon, etc.  We even got to see the Andromeda galaxy!  It was fun, but a little cold!




These cool pics were taken by Rob.





 A lot of the sugar cubes did end up in mouths.
 
 
 



Talia got a new ride.


We made a ship for history. I am thinking Thanksgiving centerpiece...









1 comment:

RBeckstead said...

That one picture of Robert in the yard makes him look soooo big!!! And I love the tux, what a stud!