Labels

Monday, July 20, 2009

Girl's Camp

So, I went to girl's camp as ward camp director for my second year in a row this year. There were three Tricia's in just our ward (including me). I was glad all of us Tricia's got along. We all slept in a row, and on Friday we had a Tricia canoe with the three of us. How fun!

I love the girls in our ward. They are fun loving, sweet to each other and kind, and have strong testimonies and try to do what is right. How much more could I ask for?

The other leaders there were so fun to be around! They made up for my lack of creativity and all other areas I was lacking. I loved talking to and bonding with them. They are amazing ladies that I definitely look up to. It is amazing to me how much easier it is to bond at girl's camp than any where else.
We had a superhero theme at camp this year. Our ward's theme was Virtue and we had "Virtue Woman" as our mascot. (She was later renamed Ugly Betty).
This is our girls in their "camp identity".

We played a fun game at camp where we were suppose to try to steal the other ward's mascots and put our ward's stickers on them. We had a lot of fun with this.
In my research on Virtue, I learned that it is not just about chastity, that it entails a lot more. The costume represented service and hard work (gloves), Speaking kind words, great worth (red for rubies), and purity (they were going to wear white shirts). So we gave devotionals each day on one of these aspects. Marissa spoke on kind words, Sue on hard work, and I gave the one on modesty and chastity. Not that that is the most fun subject in the world, and not that I wasn't embarrassed to speak on it, but I do think it is important. I hope the girls got something out of it. I at least know that they remembered when I talked about "winky winky; smiley, smiley; handsy, handsy; peach, plum and alfalfa... When Bro. Steven's came up the last night the girls played a game with him, and warmed up their mouths by saying "alfalfa" over and over. It was pretty funny.

Here are some fun pics of the girls.
This is Nicole with her 1st years.This is the trust fall.We said Bro Steven's was like the sword of truth, and Kendra actually made up a really fun rap for him as well.

Overall, it was a very good experience. I am always impressed by the girls, and I always feel the spirit so strong there. It is just like a spiritual reawakening each time I go. I love to feel closer to my Heavenly Father, so I am so grateful that I have been able to have this experience.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh, that so makes me miss Girls Camp!! I loved when I went back in the day. You know when we were in Young Womens. Maybe sometime in the future I'll get to go as a Leader and enjoy the fun all over again. Looks like you had a lot of fun, and have a great bunch of girls.